The winners of the 2020 Distell Inter-Hotel Challenge were announced on 3 March at the Taj Cape Town’s Bombay Brasserie, bringing new energy and hope to the hospitality industry which has suffered devastating damage during the past year. The categories encompassed a wide field of hospitality talent including concierges, wine stewards, baristas, bakers, chefs, pastry chefs and gave the opportunity for a number of interesting cocktails. Here are the recipes to try at home:
PASSION FRUIT SUNSET
- Presented by Keegan Terry, Belmond Mount Nelson
50 ml Three Ships Select Whisky
25 ml Rooibos tea syrup
15 ml lemon juice
30 ml passion fruit liqueur
1 fresh egg white
Add all ingredients in a shaker. Dry shake first to incorporate air. Add ice to the shaker and shake again for max 30 secs, just to chill the cocktail.Pour into a chilled cocktail coupe or martini glass. Garnish with a lemon slice or a twist of lemon peel.
SEA SOUR COCKTAIL
- Presented by Justice Zondo, Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
50 ml Scottish Leader Whisky
50 ml Sour mix (lemon juice, lime juice and syrup)
Pinch of Khoisan Sea Salt
- Stir for 30 seconds with ice. Serve in a chilled whisky glass with twisted lemon zest for garnish.
- Presented by Emile Liebenberg, The Liz McGrath Collection
“My inspiration for the name - taking a sip of the cocktail awakens your senses (Senza) while drifting away cruising (Cruz) on your yacht.”
50 ml Cruz Vodka
25 ml Rosemary & Lime Syrup
25 ml Gudgu Elderflower Cordial
50 ml S. Pellegrino Essenza (Dark Morello Cherry & Pomegranate)
¼ fresh lime
- Add 6 - 8 blocks of ice in a tumbler. Add ingredients and stir slightly. Top up with 50 ml S. Pellegrino Essenza, add a squeeze of fresh lime and garnish with fresh mixed berries.